Buckwheat is a gluten free alternative that is great to use as a substitute for plain flour. Buckwheat is high in fibre and filled with vitamins and minerals like magnesium and B vitamins that are calming for the body.
I love making buckwheat pancakes on the weekend and hubby and the kids love them too! Buckwheat flour is quite easy to access and easy to use. You can add baking powder to the mix to make the pancakes rise, but I personally don’t mind them thinner.
- 5 cups of buckwheat flour
- 5 cups of almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- Add the buckwheat flour, egg and milk in a bowl and mix with a fork/whisk to make the batter
- Add the vanilla extract to the mixture and mix
- Heat a fry pan on the stove to medium heat and pour olive oil in the pan
- Add the batter to the pan making small or larger pancakes to your liking
- Once bubbles form on one side you can flip the pancake. Buckwheat pancakes have a brown texture once cooked
- Once cooked, transfer to a plate and add any toppings. Our favourites are maple syrup and mixed berries
- Enjoy! 😀